Monday 19 May 2014

Rachel Tan's CID reflections for Poverty in Singapore

During today's CID lesson, I learnt about poverty in Singapore. We were shown a video of the living conditions of this foreign worker in 2009. They were building this 'luxury condominium' in Orchard Road. Their living conditions were terrible, it was cramped, infested with insects and had no ventilation. I was honestly shocked, as although I knew about their bad living conditions, I never knew it was that bad. I used to live in a HDB building, and there would be an old homeless man living on the void deck. He would have this gigantic bag of items with him, and would always sleep on the benches. I always pitied him but as a child, was always to scared to go close to him. I also learnt that the difference (inequality) in Singaporean's pay was rather high, comparable to China. I think I am very fortunate to have a proper roof over my head and to be able to afford an education, books, clothes and more. I honestly feel quite bad for spending so much money on clothes now. I really hope that the government can do something about this, maybe help poor homeless people adapt back into society by giving them a job to do, or by improving the living conditions of the foreign workers in Singapore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment